Monday, June 8, 2009

Music & passion are always in fashion...


Gogol Bordello 6-4-09, originally uploaded by retrogemkitty7.

Over the past two weeks, I've heard some amazing live music... tango, opera, & gypsy punk. Yes, my musical tastes are all over the map, & I'm fortunate to live in a region where I can hear such varied performances. There was a common thread in all of these shows, however - passion. People who truly love what they do getting up on a stage & putting everything they are into their art. It's so strange & sad to me that some performers expect audiences to pay top dollar to watch them lip sync. I've been told "It's HARD to sing & dance at the same time!" Really? Tell that to Ann Reinking or Bebe Neuwirth. Or to Gogol Bordello, pictured here during their June 4th appearance at Rams Head Live in Baltimore. They played for two hours, & while their moves may not be as choreographed as those of the average blond pop tart, they're every bit as energetic, if not more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment